Packing clothes for a move can be stressful and often brings up questions. Which clothes should be packed first? What’s the best way to store and move these items? Should you get rid of clothing before you move? What about things you’re planning on wearing in the days beforehand? While this may feel like a lot to take in, packing your clothes can be a simple, painless process with the right planning and supplies.
Packing Clothes Efficiently
Clothing is something that many people feel they have an excess of, making packing an overwhelming task. Here are some practical steps you can take to efficiently organize and pack your clothes:
1. Start With Seasonal Items
As is the case with packing other items in your home, you should start with the clothes that you wear the least. These are usually items that are not currently in season. You may already have these stored in bins or vacuum-sealed bags, but if not, those are great options for anything you won’t be wearing for a few months. Plastic bins and sealed bags help to keep out bugs and moisture when storing, so consider this when choosing how to pack long-term storage items.
2. What Do You Wear the Least?
Asking yourself this question helps to narrow down what you should pack next. Most likely, these will be nicer clothes that you wear on special occasions or those t-shirts that have been sitting in a drawer for a few weeks. Asking this question also helps you start to determine some of the things you can get rid of. If you realize that you have a whole drawer of shirts that you don’t wear anymore, consider donating them. Now is the perfect time to clear out your closet because it means you have fewer items to pack!
3. Frequently-Worn and Last-Minute Items
As you get closer to your moving day, you can continue adding to the clothes you’ve already packed. A good rule of thumb is to create a last-minute bag that has everything you would need for a week or so without having to unpack. This includes clothes, shoes, undergarments, toiletries, and other daily necessities. Usually, one large suitcase is sufficient for these, but you should use whatever best suits your needs.
What to Pack Clothes In
You have a few options when it comes to what you pack your clothes in, and deciding which is best depends on your specific needs.
- Storage Bins/Bags: Plastic bins and storage bags are great for clothes that you don’t need to access for a while. Vacuum-sealed bags are easier to carry and store, making them a great option for bulky winter items.
- Wardrobe Boxes: Wardrobe boxes are a simple solution for packing any hanging items in your closet. These tall cardboard boxes contain a rod inside where you can hang clothes that might easily be wrinkled. This takes the stress out of moving more delicate items. At Fox Moving and Storage, we offer our customers three free wardrobe boxes when they book our services to help simplify your moving process!
- Standard Boxes: For shoes and lighter clothes, standard cardboard boxes are a great option. Since you most likely won’t need to store any of these for long periods of time, you don’t have to worry about most moisture or insect issues. Fox Moving and Storage of Knoxville also offers moving kits that include different sizes of boxes based on your space.
- Suitcases: Anything that you will need easy access to before and immediately after you move can be packed in a suitcase. Suitcases can easily be put in your car, so you don’t have to worry about sorting through boxes to find what you need. As a last resort or last-minute option, black trash bags can also be used for remaining clothes and shoes.
Packing Help from Fox Moving and Storage Knoxville
If you’re feeling stressed about packing and moving from Knoxville, TN, Fox Moving and Storage can help. We offer full-service moves that include everything from packing and loading to transit and unloading. Our high-quality moving service guarantees your items will arrive in your new home safely. We also offer each service independently, meaning you can hire our team to help with any stage of your move. Our complete packing services bring the supplies to make sure your belongings are protected during transit. If you need help with any stage of your moving process, contact our team today for a free estimate.