Packing fragile dishes and glassware for a move doesn’t have to be tricky, but there are certain things that need to be done to ensure you don’t end up with a box of smashed plates and cups.
To get started, here are some basic supplies you will need:
- Packing paper
- Dish boxes
- Medium sized boxes
- Packing tape
- Labels or markers
Can I Just Use Newspaper?
Forego the printed newspaper if possible and use packing paper instead. The packing paper is studier and protects your dishes better and newspaper can permanently stain your dishes as well as the ink tends to rub off.
Why a dish box?
Most cardboard boxes are lined with a single layer of corrugated cardboard, but a dish crate has a double layer of corrugated cardboard and works to protect your dishes from breaking during the moving process.
You can definitely use a standard box if you cannot find an actual dish box, but make sure you use a layer of bubble wrap to line the inside of the box.
Packing Fragile Dishes Properly
- Reinforce your boxes with packaging tape at all seems. Your boxes will get heavy after packing your dishes and the last thing you want it to have a bursting seem when trying to move.
- Line the bottom of your box with crumbled up packing paper for an added layer of protection.
- Wrap each dish or glass individually before placing in the box.
- After the box is full, make sure to fill any holes with crumbled up packing paper, including adding a layer to the top of the box once it is full.
- Once taped up, make sure to properly label the fox as “FRAGILE” so your movers know to handle with care. It is also best to mark what went into the box as well to help you easily find your dishes when arriving at your new home.
Other Tips for Packing Fragile Dishes
- Glassware: Make sure to stuff the inside of your glasses with packing paper.
- Plates and Bowls: Make sure to place packing paper between the individual plates and bowls.
- Pots and Pans: Pay close attention to non-stick pans. Place a sheet of packing paper between any non-stick pans to protect the inside.
- Consider hiring a professional moving company to help you pack easy to break items like dishes and glassware.
At Fox Moving and Storage, our team of experts can help you manage your packing process and secure your items in a way that protects them during the move. For more info on our packing services, click here.